- Which projects am I signing up for when I make a reservation on this site?
- How do I sign up to volunteer?
- May children volunteer?
- How do I schedule a group or family volunteer project?
- How do I manage my group reservation?
- Can I make a recurring shift?
- What do we need to bring with us? What is the appropriate attire?
- I have a question or feedback—whom should I contact?
- Are there opportunities for my team to make an on-going commitment?
Which projects am I signing up for when I make a reservation on this site?Year-round volunteer support is essential for the Food Bank, helping us to get much-needed groceries to San Francisco and Marin.
Our volunteer community assists with gleaning and boxing produce, sorting food donations, repacking bulk food items such as rice and beans, assembling grocery boxes, stocking pantry shelves and many other active projects in our warehouse.
For other ways to be involved, please see the San Francisco Food Bank website at http://www.sfmfoodbank.org.
How do I sign up to volunteer?- To begin, register or sign-in to your personal account. Use the CALENDAR button at the top to see the current month’s schedule or scroll through upcoming months.
- Each shift listed includes the time and details about available spaces. (50 / 65 means that there are 50 spaces still available of the full 65 spaces for the shift.)
- To schedule a project, click on the shift information. Select SIGN-UP and you will be prompted to enter some information about your volunteer reservation. Please SAVE your information at the end of the form to complete the registration and receive your email confirmation.
May children volunteer? What are your age restrictions and chaperone requirements?Yes, children may volunteer within the following guidelines:
Middle school students (ages 11 and up) and high school students can volunteer for any of our shifts. Chaperones are required for individual middle school students. For groups, please allow for 1 adult chaperone for each 5 middle school students; 1 adult chaperone for each 10 high school students.
Weekends are available for younger children. Our minimum age limit on Saturdays is 8 years old. Our Sunday projects have a minimum age limit of 4 years old. Each elementary school student must be accompanied by an adult to ensure safety in our busy warehouse.
How do I schedule a group or family volunteer project?- To coordinate a group project, please register or sign-in to your personal account. From there, use the CALENDAR page to select a project date that works for your team. (50 / 65 means that there are 50 spaces still available of the full 65 spaces for the shift.
- Clicking on the shift brings up more details. Click SIGN-UP and you will be prompted to enter some information about your volunteer reservation. When you update the total number of volunteers, please use your TAB key to refresh the form to include group details. You will be prompted to select from groups you’ve already created, or to create your own team name.
TEAM NAMES: Please be as specific as possible so we can distinguish between similar group names.
Acme & Company: Human Resources
Boy Scouts: Troop 12345
Friends of Ann Smith
Andy Jones family
- SAVE your information at the end of the form to complete the registration and you will soon receive an email confirmation with further instructions. You will be provided with a link for reservation updates and your team member registration.
How do I manage my group reservation?After scheduling a group volunteer project, you will receive an email with a link for the reservation. Please email this link to your team members so that they register their attendance under that specific reservation. Registered participants in your project will receive the same emails confirming participation and reminding them of the details before the project date.
Team leaders are responsible for the overall details of the project. We do ask that you view which of your team members has signed up for your event and manage the overall number of participants so that we can prepare accurately for your project. Strict shift limits are in place to ensure safety in our busy warehouse environment.
Can I make a recurring shift?This feature is not currently available to protect against accidental registrations that would prevent others from scheduling. Please schedule each project individually (you will receive an email confirmation for each one). If you need assistance from our staff, please use the CONTACT page.
We provide everything you need to complete your volunteer project. Please wear closed-toe shoes (no sandals, flip-flops or opened-toe shoes) and grubby work clothes. A sweatshirt or extra layer is recommended as the temperature in our warehouse is often quite cool.
Scheduling inquiries can be directed to our Volunteer Coordinator at 415-282-1907 x244 or email@example.com.
This website was designed to allow volunteers to better manage their own projects and participation without the added layer of contacting our staff to sign up. However, we would love to hear your thoughts, questions and feedback so we can continue to improve this system and our overall program. Give us a call, send an email or talk to us in person while you’re here at our warehouse volunteering—we look forward to hearing from you!
Yes, absolutely! Please see more information about the Apple Corps program on our website at http://www.sfmfoodbank.org/apple-corps.
For more information about hunger in San Francisco and Marin, as well as ways that you can be involved in our work, please visit our website at www.sfmfoodbank.org.